Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Holy Hangover!

Like thousands of others, I patiently await this time of year. Not for the start of Spring, although that's very nice, and not for the South Side Irish Parade which is a teenage drunk fest as far as I'm concerned, but for the annual return of PEEPS!

You know PEEPS, right? Those yellow chicks of marshmallowy wonderfulness? Those sticky, better when cured heralds of Spring?

We've been talking about their arrival for a while now and Theresa happened to mention a childhood tradition in her house - PEEP fondue. My brain started to go into sugar convultions at the thought of it; PEEPS dipped in warm, dark chocolate.

And so it was that yesterday was declared PEEP Fondue Day. Clutches of PEEPS began arriving; the result of a big PEEP sale at CVS. They arrived before PEEP Fondue Day so they could, of course, be opened for curing.

An informal poll showed that most people like their PEEPS cured. They have to opened at least a week before consumption to be the perfect hardness.

Getting a fondue pot presented the biggest problem. They were the all the rage wedding gift of the 70s, but to find someone who has one today proved a lot more difficult.

When asked for a fondue pot, here were some of the responses:

"No, but I have an electic fry pan."
"No, but I have a crock pot."
And my favorite, "No, but I have a wok."

Undaunted, I asked Eileen, whose motto is, "If I don't have it or don't know a guy who does, you don't want it."

Sure enough, she had a fondue pot so PEEP Fondue Day was a go.

Here are some pictures and I strongly suggest that if you've never had PEEP fondue, DO IT! You'll pay dearly an hour or so later as you come down from the sugar rush and the next day, the sugar hangover will make you feel like you've been hit by a bus; but heck, PEEPS only come out once a year and it's well worth it.


In knitterly news, Georgeann has become a sock knitting fool since she took my class in December and she's now got a whole collection!


Anne's soon to be felted crochet mittens are spendid, aren't they?


3 Comments:

Blogger Knitterary said...

Yeah, that's the thing about Peep fondue. Awesome *during* but awful *after*.

I had the worst headache that night! But it was worth it. :)

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had known about PEEP fondue day :( Oh well maybe next year.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First of all, it makes me love you even more that you fondued Peeps.

Secondly, have you ever MICROWAVED a Peep? It is a sacred Easter tradition in my family, started way way back in 1999, by me.

The chick Peeps are much more gratifying to nuke than the bunnies. The chicks' shape is just more hilarious as things start to...happen.

Take one Peep and place it on a plate in the middle of your microwave. Set the timer for 20 seconds. Enjoy.

(P.S. Do not worry about messy cleanup. Trust me. Just do it.)

Sincerely,
Sarah B.
PurlHarder on Ravelry

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home