Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Oh Brother!

Here we go again. It's Superbowl time and as you may remember from last year, I really hate football.

Da Bears lost the Superbowl last year and they really stunk this year so one would think, being a Chicagoan, that I'd be off the hook and wouldn't have to put up with the all day television event. Au contraire! The Prince is a native New Yorker and a transplanted Massachusettsian so according to him, this is the game he's always "truly wanted to happen." This is the game of all games, the one not to miss. And sure, he wants the Giants to win, but if the Patriots win (which they will, he tells me), he can always say he wanted the Patriots to win from the get-go.

The last time the Giants were in a Superbowl was 2000, which isn't very long ago so I'm not sure what the big deal is. Tiki Barber apparently led the Giants in rushing and receiving. I knew that guy had a career in something before The Today Show . It didn't occur to me that it might have been a football career, he's way too pretty to be a football player, don't you think?

So I've been trying to get the Prince to watch these gigantic, important, earth shattering events anywhere but home. The television is monopolized all day every Sunday so he can be sure to take in every opinion, every last word from anyone on the upcoming game and of course every word after the game is played even though he's watched it and should know what happened.

This is what he told me,

"Oh, I can't go anywhere. True football fans watch the games alone, in the privacy of their own homes."

"That sounds like code for 'I don't have any friends.'"

"Not true! True football fans have to watch alone so they can analyze every play with no distractions. It has nothing to do with friends, but has everything to do with being a real fan."

"Great," I said, "So on Superbowl Sunday, you'll be here all day?"

"Not necessarily, real fans can watch the Superbowl with someone else."

"That sounds like code for 'if I can find a friend, I'm watching it with him.' I'm not taking any chances, I'm going to have a party at the Shop."

"Can I come?"

"No way. There won't be a television there anyway."

"I'll bring one," he said. "How will everyone watch the game if there's no television?"

"That's the point, dear. No TV, no game, no boys, no problem."

So if you too want to miss all of nauseatingly boring pre-game events, join me for an afternoon of fun and knitting! The Shop will open at 1:00 and we'll have munchies and a few surprises too!

In knitting news, the Dale of Norway Baby Ull sweater is progressing nicely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home