Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Gearing Up!

As I mentioned last week, I've got many balls in the air, but I'm knitting like a fiend and making real progress!

I'm down to a mere 144 stitches on my lovely lace poncho so it will move quickly now. I'm moments away from seaming my Summer Vest; and, I'm ready to kick butt on the outer band of my Botanica Medallion Cardi!

So where does it all lead? To the Great North American Afghan, of course.

I couldn't wait to finish the Great American Aran Afghan, but I actually miss having a little monthly project.

The squares on this Afghan are 12" x 12" as were the Aran Afghan squares and it is a fun respite to have something small, different and interesting to knit when my other projects grow tedious.

I will be holding classes and we will do one square a month on the last Thursday of each month beginning in July. This class is just about full already so if you are interested in joining us, please call the Shop to register as soon as possible.


This afghan is an intermediate project and uses 7 different colors! You will learn intarsia, fair isle, and slip stitch color techniques. You'll also learn how to read charts, how to do duplicate stitch as well as several embroidery stitches. Finally, you'll learn how to finish and edge your afghan.

We had a ball creating the Great American Aran Afghan and if you want to take your knitting to the next level, be sure to sign up for this great class. This is a pay as you go class for a $20 montly fee plus the cost of yarn. The first class will be held Thursday, July 30 at 6:30 p.m.

As for colors, I've found that choosing colors as a group results in a much more pleasing pallette. Others usually suggest color combinations that we wouldn't ordinarily put together on our own. With that in mind, we'll be holding a "Pick your Colors" day on Saturday, June 27 at 2:00 p.m. Come to the Shop to pick your colors and take 20% off your afghan yarn purchase rather than the usual 10% off class yarn.

We'll start this project with the easiest squares and move up to the more difficult squares. Our first square, by Deborah Newton, will be this lovely cabled number.


Call to register or stop by the Shop!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home