Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009

I Cut A Deal

Sadly, it wasn't a six figure book deal, but I cut a deal nonetheless. I've never been big on cutting deals, I've never had a corrupt political life to write about, and never have I cut a knitting deal.

But a knitting deal I did cut. If you read last week's blog, you know I've been having terrible trouble knitting the 4 rows required for my beautiful Santa Fe Wrap. I used markers (something I rarely do), I counted rows, I made every attempt to focus, but that darn shadow knitting made me crazy! I'd knit an inch, rip a half an inch, knit an inch, rip a half an inch. I'm sure you get the picture.

After much fuss and bother, I did manage to get 14 inches of panel one done. We all met last week for our Santa Fe Wrap Knit Along and I'm trying to knit the remainder of my panel. My friend Pat is knitting away on her second or third panel, I can't remember which, and she suddenly starts laughing.

"What's so funny?" I asked.
"You're using markers! I've never seen you use markers."
"I know," I said, "I can't seem to count to 8."
"These panels are the easiest thing to knit! What's your problem?"
"I don't know; I can't seem to count to 8."

I started to rip for the umpteenth time when a little light bulb went off in my head.

"Hey Pat! Wanna knit my panels?"
"You're kidding me, right," she said.
"Not really," I said shamefully, "I can't seem to count to 8."
"Okay, " she said. "Do you want them to be 27" long like the pattern or 30" long like I'm making mine?"

I couldn't believe my ears! This crazy woman was going to knit 3 1/2 30" shadow knit panels for me!

"What do you want me to knit for you?"
"You have to knit the heel flaps, turn the heels, and complete the gussets on 2 pairs of socks."
"That's it?" I asked suspiciously.
"That's it," she said.
"Deal. Don't you want me to knit the feet?"
"Nope, just the heels."

Friday rolls around again and in walks Pat...



That's right, wearing her Santa Fe Wrap! And mine is just about done too!

Feeling unbelievable guilty, I insisted that I complete one of the pair of socks, not just the heels. Pat graciously agreed.

Now, I'm sure the irony isn't lost on any of you. I've knit lots of socks...but I've rarely knit the second sock. Here is probably a once in a lifetime look at a completed pair of socks, knit by me, from the heel flap to the toe. The Malabrigo sock yarn is gorgeous by the way. If only these lovely socks were for me.


Thank you Pat! You are a knitting machine.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wraps are georgeous! And those socks; Soft, Soft, Soft! Looks like everyone wins!

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I just discovered your blog--what gorgeous wraps! I've only been knitting seriously for about 3 years and I'm in awe of how much knitting knowledge you must have! I recently started a blog (http://cheerfulknitter.blogspot.com) about sweater knitting (mostly). I'm looking forward to following yours--good luck to you!

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home