Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Friday, July 18, 2008

There Must be a Plan!

I've finished ordering all of the Fall yarn and it will be here before I know it. There are so many new and beautiful yarns that I'm dying to get my hands on, a detailed plan to get much of what's on my needles off by the time it arrives must be in place. (To give you a little hint of what's in store, this will be the Fall of Fair Isle. I'm planning some terrific classes for every skill level that will be tons of fun.

But in the meantime, there must be a Plan, a Grand Plan. To keep myself from being completely overwhelmed, I'm going to review what's OFF the needles. There are two new Aran Afghan Squares which makes a total of 14 - whoo hoo, only 6 to go!



Ann McCauley's square.




Ginger Smith's square.

The beautiful Gulris Knit/Crochet Cardigan by Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton for a class in August is off the needles. I'm only showing you the sleeve because Shayne is crocheting the ruffle on the rest of the sweater. The class is full, but if there is additional interest, I will offer the class again.

It is knit in Cascade's Venezia which is a merino/silk blend that knits like butter.



Pretty amazing, isn't it?

Okay, so now for the Grand Plan. First up is to finish the Medallion Tunic from the Summer issue of Vogue Knitting. Made from Pima Tencel, I've completed the back and am cruising on the sleeves.







If all goes well, I hope to have this off the needles by mid August. I really want to wear it with white pants so much to my Mother's chargrin, I'm going to wear it before and after Labor Day. Stacy London thinks that wearing white after Labor Day is okay so I'm going with her.

Next up will be Catherine Parr. This Starmore classic is being knit in 220 and I've got several friends knitting it with me. Two of them have started their sleeves which is weighing heavily on me. I really don't like being behind. I've knit up to the armholes and since we're adjusting the sleeves and armholes, the sleeves must be knit next. Can I do both Catherine Parr and the Medallion Tunic at the same time? Maybe. Even though this picture doesn't show it, I'm up to the armholes, I really am.



Then, it's back to my lovely Dale. From the Best of Tiur Book and done in Dale of Norway's Tiur, this too needs sleeves.



If you recall, I'm making the Tangled Yoke for my dear Sister Kay. Kristen finished her Tangled Yoke and it's absolutely gorgeous. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I can.

Kay's Tangled Yoke is done up to the armholes. Yup, you guessed it, it needs SLEEVES. Surely, you've noticed a trend here, right? EVERYTHING I'M KNITTING NEEDS SLEEVES!

Look back for a minute...most of the photographs here are either of sleeves or sweaters in need of sleeves. I'm clearly sleeve obsessed, sleeve deficient, and sleeve phobic.

I'm teaching a baby sweater class right now and guess what I made my students knit first? Oh, that's right, the SLEEVES. I'm at least not promoting sleeve-itis. Git 'em out of the way, people. Don't fall into the sleeve trap or you'll end up just like me. One blessing, I suppose, is that three quarter length sleeves are back in fashion.

Who knew it would be so simple, this Grand Plan; just knit sleeves.

1 Comments:

Blogger Knitterary said...

Summer of Sleeves, baby! We like it!

Your medallion tunic is stunning.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home