Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Uncle!

I've learned my lesson and I humbly request permission to remove the hairshirt I've been wearing all week. From now on, I will tell it to my pillow!

When the topic has turned to knitting afghans, I've repeatedly said,

"Oh no, not me! The thought of knitting an afghan is so mind-numbingly boring, I want to take a nap. Row after row of the same thing, over and over again for miles and miles is definitely, definitely NOT for me."

And then I offered an afghan class...

Boy, oh boy, did my words come back to nip me in the behind!

"It's the Great American Aran Afghan," I cried. "It's twenty 12 inch by 12 inch squares; each one is different, and each one was designed by a different knitter! It's a classic, an heirloom, for goodness sake."

Here, take a look at a couple of squares and you'll see why I've got to knit this baby:














Aren't they beautiful? I'm so excited and so committed I've scheduled another class. That's two per month instead of one! If you'd like to join us, we'll be meeting once a month on the 4th Wednesday and the 4th Thursday from 6:30-8:30 p.m. beginning Wednesday, June 27 and Thursday, June 28. Check out my website for more details.

My yarn arrived this morning so I'm off to start my first square. Sorry, fringe frenzy sweater, you're going to have to sit tight for a little bit. The blackberry stitch is screaming for me.



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful, so I'm not surprised you were tempted by it. Be sure to blog your squares as you go along and sit back and enjoy it!

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in the Shop on Friday as Tricia was knitting up the first Aran Afghan square. The excitement in the Shop as Tricia's rows began to form a beautiful pattern was amazing! The Aran Afghan is truly a piece that will become a family heirloom! I think we need Friday night parties to view the pieces in progress!

Karen

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home