Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Oh Baby!

Last week, I got a call from a very panicky Ruth. She told me she had to crochet a baby blanket by Wednesday of this week and wanted to know if I had 2,000 yards of cashmere in an antique white color. Well, the words baby blanket and cashmere stopped me dead in my tracks.

"Cashmere for a baby blanket? Cashmere's not washable."

"Oh, I know," she said, "It's a baby shower gift that I'm making for someone else to give and it has to be cashmere."

"Alrighty then. I do indeed have cashmere, but it comes in 50 yard hanks. That means you'd need 40 hanks of it and that will never do! What's your gauge?

"I'm going to use a C hook."

"Oh my! That's little more than a fingering weight! You need 2,000 yards and you've got how much time to do it?"

"It's got to be done by Wednesday of next week."

"Whoa! That's a lot of work. Let me think on it and give me a call tomorrow."

I went to bed that night thinking hard about a cashmere baby blanket. So much work, so little time and babies aren't exactly the tidiest creatures on the planet. Had to be cashmere, dreaming about cashmere.

I got into the Shop the next day and called my friends at Jade Sapphire. I carry their lace weight yarn, Lacey Lamb and it is magnificent. They have a gorgeous cashmere/silk blend that comes in a 400 yard hank.

This treasure came in on Thursday and Ruth rushed in to pick it up. She was off to very long and concentrated weekend. Here is the amazing result.

This picture doesn't begin to do it justice, believe me. The sheen of the silk and softness of the cashmere just don't come through. Ruth's work is so beautiful, the gauge is so fine, the lace edging is so intricate, the ribbon such a perfect finish, it defies words.

Here's another picture even though touching it was the only way to truly appreciate it.




My hat is off to you, Ruth! I wish I were the one receiving it. I'd treasure it forever and I'm very tidy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home