Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Just a little inspiration should do it

When the first issue of Twist Collective came out in the Fall of 2008, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I've been a huge fan of Kate Gilbert forever and have made the Fireside Stocking, the Pearl Buck Swing Jacket, the Clapotis, etc.

But, here in the premiere issue were designs by Kate, Ysolda Teague, Pam Allen, Adrian Bizilia, just to name a few. Wow! What company to keep!

When the Winter issue came out, I thought Miss Cory was going to jump out of her skin. She called me at the Shop,

"Mom, did you see it?"
"See what?"
"The new issue of Twist Collective!"
"Not yet."
"Oh, my God, it has a pattern for the most beautiful coat I've ever seen in my life, ever! I mean ever!"
"Really! What's it called?"
"Sylvi...by Mari Muinonen. I have to make it."

And so it was. She bought the pattern, we got the yarn - a beautiful red chunky; and, she even went out and bought fabric for the lining and a very special fabric from the "Lightening bugs and other mysteries" collection by Heather Ross. It's covered in gnomes of all things. She talked about it constantly to anyone who would listen, ensuring everyone it would be done by the Fall.

She cast on and brought the pattern and yarn to Thanksgiving.

"Good God, Mom, look at the charts!"
"You can get through it - you're a far better knitter than you give yourself credit for. Take it one row at a time."

We got her going and she was off to the races, or so I thought...I only asked about it a few times (a few times more than she wanted). She made mittens to match. And then, nothing. No word of Sylvi from about February on. She'd sort of growl at people if they mentioned it so I stopped talking.

In July, she made this pronouncement:

"I am no longer a knitter."

At first I chalked this up to Post Massachusetts Traumatic Indifference Syndrome (PMTIS) which she suffers from every year after she and the kids spend 3 weeks with my family in Massachusetts. Then she said it again,

"I am no longer a knitter."

Imagine my glee when Julia Farwell-Clay agreed to bring her very own Sylvi as part of the Trunk Show! Julia knit Sylvi and is bringing it the Shop on Friday!

I was going to surprise Miss Cory with this news, but as everyone knows, I can't keep a secret.

"Whaddya think about that, Miss I am no longer a knitter! Julia is bringing Sylvi to inspire you, to get your mojo going."

"WOW!" she said, "Thank goodness it's not Fall yet."

Be sure to join us tomorrow night at 6:00 p.m. It will be a rare opportunity to see Cory swoon AND it will be your only Chicago opportunity to meet Julia and see all of the beautiful pieces from the amazing Twist Collective magazine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home