Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Enough Already!

Other than my neighborhood, there are only two places I've seen more sea gulls gathering en masse: the National Seashore in Cape Cod and a McDonald's parking lot. Despite their sheer numbers, they aren't eating enough cicadas to suit me. I'd rather have sea gull poo than cicada carcasses and live cicadas any day. My backyard repulses me.

Before I went for a walk this morning (Ei, you're proud, right?), I was chatting with my neighbor Chuck about the cicada situation.

"They're disgusting. I want to retch when I see my backyard."
"Oh, don't be silly. It is what it is. Being disgusted is a girl thing."

Since all of my shrubs need trimming this weekend, I hope he's right. Unless the Prince knocks all of the carcasses off the shrubs, they're not getting a haircut.

"They don't bite, for heaven's sake."

Au contraire, mon ami!

As I was walking home, a teenage boy, who was behind me said,

"Uh, Ma'am, there's a cicada..."

Dive bombing my neck! It bit me, I tell you, I swear it did. It also got caught in my hair as I was jumping up and down swatting my neck to get the hideous, giant creature off me. Despite his incredible urge to laugh hysterically at this bizarre woman jumping up and down, the boy stoically walked on.

Here's a few pictures of the harmless, darling little critters. As you will see, some are live and some are merely a shell of themselves. The pictures, I'm sorry, are a little blurry, because I took them fast, my hands shaking, before one or millions could land on me again.




If you're interested, you can go here and watch the Dawn of the Damned. I just wish they would clean up after themselves.

Enough already! So on to knitterly things. Here are pictures of the first two squares of the Great American Afghan! The first one is oh so done, and the second is well on it's way.



If you want to join us for this class, I've added another: the fourth Friday of each month, beginning June 29 from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Click here for more information.

I had a wonderful vacation last week, but a fair number of cubbies here at the Shop were empty upon my return! Something went on last week while I was away; Cory's not talking so I've decided to let sleeping dogs lie. Thank you all!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Darn right I'm proud! To quote The Monkees (you do remember them, don't you?) "I'm a Believer"

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home