Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Let the Knit Along Begin!

I've had my eye on the Nantucket Jacket from the Winter edition of Interweave Knits from the very moment I saw it. I've lusted for this gem by Norah Gaughan like I've almost never lusted for a sweater before. The gussets at the waist, the three-quarter-length sleeves, the scalloped edges, seed stitch - it's my idea of a perfect sweater.

But let's see...what did I already have in progress? The Dale, of course, and steeking has to happen next week. The socks for the elders are almost done as are the socks I'm designing. The Fetching mitts are long complete and the beautiful Forbes Forest scarf is well underway. The Debbie Bliss Pure Cashmere hat is already on display.

All in very good shape, I'd say. But then there's the Dale and here's where the excuses, the aforementioned avoidance knitting and the irrational rationalizations begin....

The entire body is done, except for the shoulders. I've bound off for the front neck and am now working back and forth in Fair Isle. I don't like to carry colors when I'm purling. It's not hard, it's not even any slower; it's not bad at all, really. I just don't like it. The front neck is bound off, I rationalize. I can steek it with my comrades-in-arms. I've completed my steek reinforcement so I am ready to cut. It doesn't matter then really, if the shoulders and the back neck are still on the needle. I can add the button bands - I'll be way ahead of the game in finishing, I tell myself. Then I can take my time. I can do a couple of rows a week on the shoulders - all at my leisure. And as if I needed more reasons, the Dale is definitely a winter sweater and winter is almost over.

Besides, I've organized a Knit Along on the Nantucket Jacket that starts next week! Eight great knitters who agree that this sweater just HAS to be made will knit along with me. All yarn has been selected and gauges have been checked and we are ready to go! I've got just 7 days to wait to cast on this little beauty. I don't feel guilty about my Dale. It's too beautiful not to be finished; it just won't be finished yet.

Oh and yes, my little spinning nephew Devlin, the mittens and hat that I'm knitting from your wool will be on their way to you next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home