Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Happy Birthday!

As you may recall, my Prince's 50th birthday is today. I debated about throwing the BIG party, but unless it was held in Massachusetts, the only non-family guest would be our neighbor Chuck. Chuck's fun and all, but they're happy sitting in Chuck's garage smoking cigars so a party wouldn't really be necessary.

Before the big month of May started, my dear husband said,

"You know my birthday's the big one this year."

"Yes, I do," I told him.

"I kind of think that since it is the big one, it should be all me all May."

"And, that's different how?" I asked.

"Well," he said, "I think I should be the absolute center of attention all month."

"Not to sound redundant, dear, but that's different how?"

Now, as many of you know, I've been knitting him a sweater; and, knitting it right in front of him from the get go. When I was sitting in my little room putting on the collar last week, he came in and asked me what I was knitting.

I was so floored by the question, I looked up at him dumbly and said, "Uh, nothing."

Wow, impressive answer wasn't it?

So the sweater was completed with time to spare. All sewn together, blocked, and ready to go days before the BIG DAY! I made it with Classic Elite's Princess which, by the way, is an incredible yarn. It doesn't, in this case, hurt that it's named Princess either.

Being the incredibly impatient type, I simply couldn't wait to give it to him on his birthday so I gave it to him Friday night. This way, I thought, he can wear it out to his birthday dinner on Saturday night.

"Oh, dear, it's a beautiful sweater! So soft! Great color! I love it! When in heaven's name did you knit it?"

"I've been knitting it right in front of you for the last 6 weeks. I can't believe you didn't know. I was sure you knew when you came in and asked me what I was knitting!"

"Well, after the Cubs' game incident, you told me you were never knitting me anything ever again and I believed you."

"See there! It is all you all the time! Try it on; let's see how it fits."

It fits pretty darn well, don't you think?

Happy 50th Birthday, my darling husband! You look damn good in that Princess sweater!

2 Comments:

Anonymous kristin said...

It's PERFECT! You'll have to give him lots of hugs when he's wearing it because the yarn is so yummy!

9:24 PM  
Blogger Fantastagirl said...

Wow - you did a beautiful job!

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home