Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Put Your Math Where Your Mouth Is


The Interweave Knits Fall 2006 Trunk Show will be here on September 26 and there will be a great selection of projects from this issue on display. I am particularly excited to have this lovely cabled sweater by Ann E. Smith, the Sienna Cardigan, back in the Shop!

If you've ever spent anytime in the Shop, you've undoubtedly heard me complain about pattern errors.

"Doesn't anybody review these?" I've been heard to moan. "Isn't anyone actually knitting them?"

One day, I was particularly bent on pattern errors as I had just finished a sweater from a pattern rife with them. As I railed on, someone in the Shop at the time, looked at me and said, "Why don't you do something about it, Smarty Pants?"

Never one to shy away from a challenge, I set out to find a second job. Over the summer, Interweave Press hired me as a freelance Technical Editor and my very first technical editing project was the Sienna Cardigan.

Creating a perfect pattern takes checking, rechecking and that's right, checking again. I'm responsible for verifying the stitch and row gauge against the knitted garment and the pattern. I calculate the measurements for the schematic. I verify the stitch patterns, the instructions for sense and technical accuracy and I verify all shaping. Whew. Lots of detail, but lots of fun.

I've just finished up three projects for the Spring Knitscene magazine with several more on the way and I can't wait to see my name in print.

Some say knitting is an art, some say it's a hobby. I say knitting is a science.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Now, THAT's impressive. I still refuse to admit that there's math involved in knitting. I just try really, really hard to stick to the pattern and pray that it fits. Someone.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tricia,
Your loyal followers are excited that you have found a second job crusading for accurate knitting instructions! Not sure where you found the time but You Go Girl! Continue taking on the knitting industry and get them to conform to your high standards!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home