Nana's Knitting Shop

Knitting tales of a lifelong knitter
and yarn shop owner.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

“Do That To Me One More Time” or “Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?”

Ah, the eighties; I remember them well. As I was perusing the Fall Vogue Knitting, this little number certainly gave me pause.
Leggings and high heels? Oh no, say it isn’t so. I could hack it when the seventies came back although I’d never wear bell bottoms again. The eighties however, are a very different story. Big hair, big shoulders and those awful ripple enhancing leggings. The Vogue story this season is: “Pump Up the Volume! Bigger is better again, so loosen your belt a notch (even if you don’t have to).” I for one, don’t have a belt from the eighties that fits.

I was a prolific knitter during the eighties, however. Here’s just a sampling of the interesting items I made:


Do you remember that in the eighties, novelties
were called “fancies?”
Fancy indeed.









This Aran looks a lot like the Michael Kors "Sweater of the Season" on the front cover of Vogue Knitting, doesn't it?









Who knows what I was thinking when I made this striped number. Retrospect is an interesting phenomenon.







I actually really still like this one and as anyone who knows me will tell you, I still wear it! It's the only one left from a very busy knitting decade.







This one speaks for itself, doesn't it? It was called "Elegance and Top Secret." Top secret?





The eighties were a weird fashion time and while they appear to coming back this season, I'm thrilled to report that there are many beautiful and classic sweaters in "vogue" this year. I know I won't be going back to the eighties any time soon. My shoulders are big enough without pads, my hair was never big enough even with a perm (I'll never again subject myself to that abuse), and my back is way too fragile for high heels.

If anyone is interested in seeing the plethora of pattern books I have from the eighties, be sure to stop by the Shop. I'm certain copyright infringement no longer applies.

By the way, I know Boy George is getting in his community service hours sweeping the streets of New York city, but what the heck happened to The Captain and Tennille?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Capt. and Tenille? They're probably living under one of those hugely oversized pullovers.

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home